Friday, January 1, 2010

Pink Saturday in the New Decade a Plan to Increase and Decrease…

Today I’m sharing my New Year’s Eve Hat. It comes from Texas artist SariJane and it is elegant and playful at the same time.

Chinese New Year bottle coats 011

It’s made from vintage dictionary pages and features vintage PINK butterflies and silver leaves…most festive.

Chinese New Year bottle coats 021

It has lovely soft white feathers (please tell me that’s feathers not fur) around the bottom…it would be perfect for an elegant black tie event…one with lots of caviar and champagne; however, it worked just as well for staying home in front of the tube watching Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve and hoping we didn’t get a bullet through the roof! That’s right…a bullet!  Seems that some cowboy-wanna-bes and wild partygoers or maybe the bored stay-at-homers shoot guns into the air at midnight. And what goes up…Yup…last year in San Antonio, Texas, a stray bullet came through a roof in a residential neighborhood. We made it into 2010 unscathed and ready to start the new decade.  

As for the traditional resolutions, I’ve decided to Increase and Decrease. I’ll increase the things I’m proud of in every area of my life and decrease the things I’m not so willing to own up to… I’ve already started working on one habit to decrease the amount of time (substantial) that I spend looking for things…my new mantra is “Don’t  put it down; put it away.” I’ve been saying this for about a week now and following the practice pretty well. I say it dozens of times a day and feel so smug when I follow the good advice I’m giving myself. I already have more time and I’m more relaxed and in putting things away I’ve actually found three pair of missing reading glasses!  I sound like one of those commercials for self-help products. Well, I’m going into the new decade feeling pretty good…at my age it doesn’t take much… “Realistic Expectations” was part of my resolutions a couple of New Year’s Days  back (maybe 2000) and it was one that I have followed pretty well.

Have a Happy New Year with 52 wonderful PINK Saturdays to come thanks to Beverly. And speaking of Beverly, tell her “Hi” for me when you check out this week’s participants.  Enjoy the day. Think Pink.

http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/

8 comments:

Sue McPeak said...

Your a funny GRIT, too. ShootEmUp on New Years...that's what they get for livin near the Alamo! I really like your 'mantra'.."Don't put it down...put it away". My problem with putting it away is..."Outta Site...Outta Mind", and then I can't finda a darn thing with out putting a pink sticky note in the spot where I put it away, so I may as well leave it out in plain sight! Whew! I'm wore out and have a headache, hope I remember where I put the tylenol and pillow. Happy Pink Saturday and Happy New Year...see ya soon.

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Happy Pink Saturday Sweetie...
What a great post. I love the shootin part. Living in Phoenix, there are lots of gun toting idiots out there, that shouldn't have a license, let alone carry a weapon. A few years back, a stray bullet came down and killed a young girl who was standing in her backyard talking on the phone with a friend. When will these idiots learn?

I love your New Years resolutions. I agree with the Collectin Texas Gal, if I put it up, then I can't remember where I have put it. If I have to leave myself stickies all over to remember where I have put things, then I have a whole other problem at hand. (a sticky one at that) Ha! Ha! Ha!

Oh thanks for sharing today. I love it when you do.

Please stop by and say hi. I am having a give away and you won't want to miss it.

Country hugs sweetie...Sherry

Treasia Stepp said...

What a pretty pink party hat. Adorable. It must be a southern thing about the shooting of guns on New Years Eve? Like you I sat here listening to gunfire at midnight, hoping and praying it didn't come through our windows.

Light and Voices said...

Happy New Year from our house to your house. Your new mantra for 2010 is "Don't put it down...put it away." mmmm, might work for me too. Can I use the same mantra?
Joyce, IL, USA

Grace said...

Beautiful Hat! Happy New Year! Grace

CC said...

Loved your feathery New Years hat. It's really pretty.. Happy New Year..may it bring many blessings and Happy Pink Saturday..

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your NYEve's hat...embellished with the most beautiful FEATHERS! :)

We spent NYE at home, too...watching old movies,(well hubs watched the movies while I cooked for a get together with friends on the following day). OMG....bullets coming through a roof! I can tell you we heard LOTS of explosions at midnight, but I'm hoping they were fireworks! Sick, sick people shoot off guns!

I hope you had a great Pink Sat. and I wish you the best in the New Year! Dana

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday and Happy New Year, LaVerne.

I certainly glad that now crazy bullets found their way to you.

I use the don't put it down, finish it mantra at work. Sometimes I feel that I am forever moving issues that I don't want to deal with around on my desk.



Limping Deer and the Twins

Limping Deer and the Twins
They are still spotted at this time.

Show and Tell Sunday June 15

Flea Market Finds...sounds like my whole house and yard...

Milk Glass Collection

Milk Glass Collection
Who knew that a 25 cent flea market find would unleash such a collecting frenzy? I never pay more than a dollar unless it's a really nice piece. They are great grouped with a single daisy in each.

These used to be inexpensive florist vases in the 50's and 60's. Everyone's Grandmother had bunches.

Mexicana Dishes

Mexicana Dishes
My sister found these for me at Bussy's Flea Market in San Antonio, Texas. I had seen pictures in her Fiesta reference book. Mexicana was also made by Homer Laughlin in the 30's. I had been looking for several years without ever finding even a single piece when she found the set...with a promise to hold it for us, she came running to find me and I bought the entire set...60+ pieces for $50.

Mexicana

Mexicana
I've added to the set over the years, but the price and experience will never match that first amazing find.

Vintage Kitchen Hutch

Vintage Kitchen Hutch
When my hubby found this hutch it was Pepto pink and I was not 100% sure about it. But with a new red back and fresh white paint and refurbished hardware, it became one of my favorite pieces.

Nancy made me save the vine

Nancy made me save the vine
The vine and flowers painted on the inside were in such bad shape that I was ready to remove it all. Nancy -My Crafty Little Page convinced me to keep it and after some touch-up work, I'm glad I listened to her. My husband restores vintage Cushman motorscooters and he tries to make everything "mint" condition again. The Shabby Chic movement came along just in time to keep me from making some terrible mistakes.